Sunday, May 8, 2022

Weekly Learning: Number One

 I might try a new weekly or semi regular installment of a concept called weekly (even if it isn't) learning. Mostly thoughts on what I've read or experienced in clinic.  I'll see how it evolves.  I've been thinking that it would be good practice to sit and think about the week.  

A win:  Had a patient that was getting repeated knee pain for months after exactly half mile of running.  Swelling on the outside lateral knee.  I had treated the foot and hip and knee in all various combos.  Big rocks were checked and rechecked.  One evening I sat and throught through the anatomy and reviewed some old French Anatomy notes I have.  Taken from the 1800's before Fascia wasn't eliminated.  I reviewed an old Guy Voyer video and throught through some joint jumping techniques that I have learned from a Guy seminar taught by the amazing Brian Murer.  Some individuals will have a lateral sesamoid bone and can have various IT band attachments (up to 5).  I worked the tissue and joint pumped the joint in various ways.  Two days later I got a text he had run 5 miles with no pain or swelling!  Pretty cool.  

A Loss:  A profesional runner I have worked with retired from foot pain.  It was a frustrating experience for him, to state it mildly.  I'd get to check it every 5-6 weeks.  I have probably read more about the foot in the last year than any other anatomy to try to figure this out.  Worked on trying to create exercises to emphasis better control in the foot and in the body.  Just nothing ever clicked.  Very bummed for him.  The goal for any athlete is to retire because they aren't good enough or they have accomplished what they wanted to.  Not to let injury decide for you.  Very humbling to know you couldn't help.  

But it also puts into clarity the importance of keeping learning, keep thinking, keep tinkering.  I'll cross paths again with injured athletes from various things.  I owe it to that future athlete to get better.  When an athlete trust their career and dreams to help keep them healthy,  it's not a thing to take lightly.  Keep learning, get better.

The Adductor Magnus really has 4 parts if you take the blood vessel areas as zones.  Zone one acts as a hip stabilizer, 2 and 3 are middle zone and are conductors of movement.  Zone 4 is basically acting like another hamstring.  Interesting stuff.  


No comments: