Hydrochloric acid (HCL) is a very important stomach acid. Many people with Western diets are deficient. Lets put it this way, if you don't have enough HCL your not going to digest and assimilate the food you ate. Why can we be deficient?
1. Stress: Sympathetic overload shuts down the parasympathetics.
2. Excessive Protein: Requires more HCL
3. Poor Eating Habits: Eat a ton all at once. Don't chew well. Drink a lot of water during the meal.
4. Lack of Thiamine/Zinc: B1 and Zinc are both necessary for HCL production in the stomach. Zinc is the #1 deficient mineral in the body.
5. Antacids: This an other meds, can suppress stomach acid.
6. Alcohol: Robs the ability to make HCL.
7. Salt free diets: Sodium is needed.
8. Aging: Decreases HCL production.