Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Do I Need to Deload?

One of the core principles I've always followed when I write a training program for someone is rest/recovery days and deload weeks.  Basically a deload week is a time to really let the body recover and get ready for the next microcycle of training.  In theory, this principle is critical...when working with very disciplined, elite athletes.  Athletes whose job is to train or type A individuals who follow such rigid guidelines in their training/life that without a programmed deload time, they make up things to do.

Lately, I've come to realize that more and more people are probably more like myself when it comes to training.  I lift weights a few times a week, try to get in one HIIT (sprints, hills, ect.) and one aerobic workout in a week.  I throw in mobility/recovery type work in those sessions.  Do I need a deload week anymore?  No, between work, family, friends, hobbies, life responsibilities, there are enough unprogrammed deloads to keep me from over training or getting burned out.

So for those not attempting to win an Olympic medal, finish an Ironman or make money from your sport, rest/recovery is important, but the deload week probably will end up doing more harm then good.  Get in solid training when you can.  The longer rest period will probably take care of itself.

No comments: