Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Track Town USA


The past week I was able to a little traveling and one of the spots I hit was Eugene, OR. Eugene has been nicknamed track town USA. There historic track Hayward Field was the sight of some incredible performances and amazing athletes. It's where Bill Bowerman and Phil Knight started a little company called Nike. This past week was the sight of the US National Championships in Track and Field. It's an amazing place.

One of my favorite athletes was the late Steve Prefontaine. Pre as he was called, left some memorable quotes. Here are a few I've always enjoyed.

"To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift."

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more. "

"I run to see who has the most guts."

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it. "

1 comment: