Monday, August 11, 2008

Trap bar deadlift @ Train Out Pain in Grand Rapids

If you have ever hurt your back back squatting you know that best case scenario it impedes your athletic goals for a few weeks, at worse it can create some debilitating pain that can last quite awhile.  If you have a history of low back pain, herniated disc or spondylolisthesis then back squatting may not be the best choice when you start to compare the cost benefit ration.
A great alternative to the back squat is the trap bar deadlift.  The trap bar deadlift is a hexagonal shaped bar that you step in and lift.  Even though it's called a deadlift, the motion actually mimics the squat.  This is a great way to lift the legs heavy but not load the spine.  So go ahead give it a try, you may never go back to back squatting. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are great. I have been using one for about a year now. Was deadlifting 600+ with a straight bar but would always have back problems that would set me back. Then I'd have to spend months working my way back. After ten years of no deadlifting because of a back so soe I could hardly tie my shoes I tried the trap bar & can deadlift close to 600 for reps & my back feels GREAT.