Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Zinc, Magnesium and Fibromyalgia

I try to read as much about nutritional research as I can as I really believe it's the missing block in many peoples training and recovery.  People spend hours creating the perfect training program for the week and then spend hours training, then spend like ten minutes thinking of the nutrition that should be paired with their different endeavours.

Do you take more protein on days you lift weights?  More carbs on days you cycle for two hours?  Do you even need to?  Do you do peri-workout shake?  Do you still think training on an empty stomach is going to make you burn fat?  Are you spending money on gadget after gadget, but not on what you put in your body?  Quality food, quality supplements.   What your ingesting is repairing your body, what your ingesting is allowing you to get quality sleep, what your ingesting is allowing you to get stronger and faster.  What minerals are you missing?

The latest study I came across was with Fibromyalgia.  While I think to many people are diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, I think there is a lot the everyday person and athlete can learn from the research that is being done.  For example this study was done looking at serum level of different elements in people that have been diagnosed as having Fibromyalgia and a normal healthy control group.  What they found was the the Fibromyalgia group had lower levels in both zinc and magnesium. The more zinc was lower the more tender points the patients had.  The more magnesium was lower the more fatigue the patient had.

I've talked previously about the importance of magnesium and zinc.  Zinc is for repair, Growth Hormone levels, magnesium is for muscle relaxation/energy/oxygen to the muscles.  So the results make a lot of sense.

As an athlete the take away is this.  If you find yourself, more sore then you have in the past, your zinc levels are probably low.  If the energy is low and your fatigue is high, chances are your magnesium levels may be low.  Magnesium is one of the few supplements I actually sell in our office here in Grand Rapids.  That's how important I think it is.  Your supplement needs to end in -ate as well.  The second word Magnesium  (  )ate. If it doesn't it's cheap and your not absorbing it.

If you know of someone that is always sore and tired clue them in.  Pay attention to what you eat and how you feel.  Pay attention to how your body feels after each workout.  Pay attention.

3 comments:

jilliet said...

I have Fibromyalgia and am currently training for a Taekwondo competition. I've noticed lately that I have a lot of nerve pain while running and doing foot work in class in my legs and feet. I am going to try taking these supplements and keep my fingers crossed that it helps. It is so frustrating trying to find something that helps and keep on track with your training! Thank you for your post! I hope it helps. :)

Angeline Black said...

I discovered zinc for post-workout soreness quite by accident. I have fibromyalgia, and I get colds/flues all of the time. It's ridiculous. Doctors don't make the connection, even if you point it out.(I already take magnesium malate daily, and I have for 3 years. Love it.)
So, first I noticed a correlation between working out and catching a cold. Always I had to deal with a high level of post-workout soreness. Then, when my grown daughter caught a very bad flu, I bought her zinc gluconate lozenges. I began to suck on them while caring for her, hoping to sideline the illness in myself. No such luck, as two days later I was very ill, but I did notice that while taking zinc before and during the illness that I felt much, much less sore in general. Even the aches during my fever were bearable. This was kinda mind-blowing, and despite being very ill, I made a note to pick up some oral zinc supplements as soon as I felt well enough to do so. I've been taking 15mg zinc (methionine type), along with 2mg copper that is included in the supplement, each night with dinner. I now feel like there is backbone to my workouts, and not so much like I'll have to get sick all the time and endure severe lactic acid build-up in order to stay strong and flexible. The immune-boosting effects need more time to bear-out with me, though the reduction in post-workout tenderness was immediate and amazing. =) It's only been a couple of weeks, but it shouldn't take much longer to know if I will stop getting sick all the time. I had been getting sick every 3 to 6 weeks, previously. After reading up on zinc, I believe the type is crucial. Giving out milligram amount advice is secondary to type and absorption. You want to learn what type is best, then what amount will compliment your diet and try not to exceed the recommended upper-level intake.
Zinc!

JOHNSON KATE said...

As a sign of gratitude for how my son was saved from fibromyalgia , i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
My son suffered fibromyalgia in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always complain of joint stiffness, and he always have difficulty falling asleep . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to fibromyalgia . I never imagined fibromyalgia has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my son will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my son used it and in one months time he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. fibromyalgia has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my story