Monday, June 29, 2009

Book Review of the Month

I know it's been awhile since I've last done a book review, I've been reading, but mostly some awesome textbooks. This past few weeks I've been travelling though, and because of that, have had the chance to do more leasurily stuff.
First up, Steroid Nation, by Shaun Assael. I found this to be a highly entertaining and informative book. It gets into how the supplement industry exploded in the early nineties when now Vice President Joe Biden, made it his mission to get steroids up there with the same penalites as cocain and heroin. It tells the story of Dan Duchaine, Victor Conte of Balco Labs, and a few of the scientist probably responsible for the formulas used in baseball today. If you ever wonder how sports got to be the way they are, this is a good read.

Second up, Born to Run by Christopher Mcdougall. I have to say, this is one of the best books I've read since Omnivores Dillemma. It touches on quite a few themes. At it's heart is a true story of a man set to learn to run pain free. Woven throughout the text though are human evolution, training, culture, sports, the shoe industry, ultra running and much more. I highly recommend it for anyone that runs or is interested in sub culture at it's finest. It's well written and has a great story, you won't be dissapointed.

No comments: