Saturday, January 4, 2014

Brain Freeze and Omega 6/Omega 3 Fatty Acids

Growing up our family called brain freezes fur-ghoulies.  I had never heard the term brain freeze till college.  I seemed to get them quite frequently when I was younger and to my own perception they actually increased in severity, not frequency, after I was knocked out playing rugby for my chiropractic school.  I've asked around and no one seems to collaborate my findings.

Anyways, I found it quite interesting that while reading through Jack Kruse's new book, "Epi-Paleo Rx,"  I came across this passage.

If you get a lot of brain freezes when you drink cold things this might signal you suffer from a high tissue omega six level.

This was the first time I've ever come across a nutritional reasoning behind the so called brain freezes.  

Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio for modern man is pretty horrific in terms of what is suggested.  Most paleo or nutritional guidelines shoot for 1/1 ratio.  It is estimated that a grain heavy diet is somewhere between 20/1 and for real poor nutrition 40/1.  A ratio of even 6/1 can provide a lot of health benefits.  This is why supplementing with quality fish oil (EPA/DHA) often provides amazing results for a myriad of different health issues.  Also, why decreasing the bread based/fried foods also increases health.  Perhaps, getting rid of brain freezes is another side benefit. 

No comments: